CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bath Update

Well, yes, of course you're right; most people don't put a reading nook in the bathroom...but my master bath isn't just my bathroom, it's my refuge.  For me, cottage-y comfort paired with a place to enjoy a book is the recipe for relaxation.  So-o-o a big cushy chair and its ottoman snuggle up to the bath tub and help make the room a place I look forward to enjoying daily. 

I have had a problem area in there, though.


Over the last five years a variety of pretty framed prints, endearing knick knacks and home decor flotsam and jetsom have been displayed on a pair of shelves above the towel rack next to the twin sinks.  Recently, the sad little shelves have showcased nothing at all (except a bit of dust, I fear).
Then yesterday, I made a quick trip Hobby Lobby to get paint for some commissioned art and stumbled upon a really cute frame.

Do I even need to mention that it was on sale?  Half price.  So, of course I bought two.
The photo isn't clear enough to show that the designer had coupled the sweet metal frame with a big faux jewel in the middle of the bow.  Now, I am certainly not going to dispute the fact that diamonds are a girl's best friend, but I wasn't completely won over by this big plastic one.  Bling is wonderful--I have a couple of dear friends who have glitter in their veins--but it's just not, well, "me."  So while in HL I unearthed some things to use to make some cottage chic modifications:
Okay, okay, I could have gotten an 1/8 a yard of burlap for a fraction of what I paid for the two premade flowers and created my own, but I had a busy enough day before I encountered this serendipity of a project; so I decided to take the easy route.  I thought the buttons were a good match for the fabric of my chair.  And oh, I already had the jute on hand in my studio.
The only problem with a really cutie patootie frame is that it needs something cutie patootie inside it. And this was an impulse project, so I had nothing! I decided I wanted to play with the colors in my chair's vintage upholstery, so I grabbed one of the arm protectors.

And I scanned it.  Yep, I scanned the fabric and then printed the photo onto cardstock that I could use as the backdrop for--well, something.  Happily, while I was in the study scanning the fabric my eye ventured upon an old tattered black and white photo of my hubby as a baby. It was sitting atop his bookcase where he'd left it during a recent discussion of how much our grandson Tyson looks like him that old snapshot. I decided I could frame it and slip an old black and white picture of me as a little girl into the other frame...just right for the room we share.

And there we have it! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment